Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel trailers

First I watched this trailer for Wes Anderson's latest film, due in March:


And my first thought was, "This looks like a Wes Anderson parody." Seriously, you can hear the Honest Trailers voice say, "Starring: Every single actor who's ever been in a Wes Anderson movie!" And they're saying and doing things that are just so...singularly Wes Anderson. He's devolved into self-parody. Maybe some people already thought he'd done so years ago.

But then this trailer mellowed the experience a bit:

I'm a fan of Anderson, I really am. I loved Rushmore back in the day (I even just bought the Criterion Blu-Ray of it). The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite movies. Since then my opinions of his work have vacillated between "didn't really care for it" (The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou) to "yeah, I really enjoyed that" (Moonrise Kingdom). Not exactly damning or glorifying statements. His style was unique for two movies (which is quite a feat when you think about that logically). But now you realize he makes exactly one kind of movie and just alters the story and characters. I don't know. We'll see. I'm sure it will be good. I just find it difficult to get really excited about this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...