Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor 1932 - 2011

One of the greatest of Hollywood stars in history has died today. I'm no giant (no pun intended) fan of her as an actress, I suppose mainly because I'm not very familiar with her work. I've seen bits of Cleopatra and all of Father of the Bride, but the only film of hers I've seen in its entirety that I have any real recollection of is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? which she is devastatingly brilliant in. Mike Nichols directed her to her second Best Actress Oscar in that film.

What I honestly most remember her for is her bizarre announcement of the Best Picture winner at the 2001 Golden Globes when she seemed half drunk and in a senile haze. She almost opened the envelope before reading the list of nominees. The stunned audience had to shout up at her that she was doing it wrong. When she finally got around to announcing the winner it was this odd screech of "Glaaaaadiator!" Poor woman. How far they fall.

Normally I would take an opportunity like this to visit some of her work and provide fresh reviews like I did with Dennis Hopper and my reviews of The American FriendColors and Hoosiers last year. Unfortunately I am bogged down with work and family and don't have the time right now.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is probably worth a look as well as Giant and A Place in the Sun. If only I had the time. Oh well.

Goodbye Liz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...