Thursday, June 10, 2010

2010 World Cup Predictions - Group H

This group should be little trouble for Spain, who are now on a streak of 1 loss in something like 45 matches (it was the USA who handed them that loss). They went through qualifying with 10 matches and 10 wins. They just beat up on Poland the other day 6-0. Switzerland, Honduras and Chile shouldn't present too much difficulty in achieving 9 points. I'm also predicting Spain to win the tournament. Sadly, I'll have to miss their first two matches because I'll be at work.

Switzerland won a pretty easy qualifying group with a loss coming against Luxembourg of all teams at home. They've got a strong chance of advancing, but Chile had a truly impressive run in South American qualifying, coming in second behind Brazil. And recent friendly losses to Norway, Uruguay and Costa Rica do not bode well, despite the recent 1-1 draw with Italy.

Honduras may take as many as 3 points in this group if they can pull out a win against Switzerland. But I don't see them having a great chance of advancing. They've also not had a very happy series of friendlies with the exception of a 3-1 defeat of the USA in California in January.

My money would be on Chile for second place.

Spain            9
Chile             4
Honduras      3
Switzerland   1


No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...