Saturday, March 1, 2014

Final Oscar Predictions

This is coming through later than I'd wanted. We just moved into a new house and it's been a terribly busy two weeks. I've not had any time to write as I've spent nearly all my free time either moving boxes and furniture, organizing boxes and furniture, cleaning, and other little odds and ends.

It's late right now, and I really don't have time, but for the sake of just getting this out there, here are my predictions for Sunday night's Oscar ceremony:

Picture: 12 Years a Slave
I have little doubt about this one, although I don't think 12 Years a Slave will win many awards overall.

Director: Alfonso Cuaron
This is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Actress: Cate Blanchett
This is really tough because I think Amy Adams so richly deserves the award. She's had so many nominations in her very short movie career and she was just dazzling in American Hustle. But Cate Blanchett is a phenomenal actress, was incredible in Blue Jasmine, and while she has won an Oscar, it was not as lead actress.

Actor: Matthew McConaughey
No-brainer again.

Supporting Actress: Lupito Nyong'o
This is a late change for me. A couple of weeks ago I was calling Jennifer Lawrence for sure. Nyong'o didn't really stand out for me as much. But the Academy will want to reward 12 Years a Slave with a major award and Lawrence has won very recently.

Supporting Actor: Jared Leto
Not even close to my favorite option, but he hasn't lost a single award yet.

Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave

Original Screenplay: American Hustle
Hmmmm, I really want to go with Her simply because it has won nearly all the precursors, but people have loved American Hustle and it doesn't look likely to win anything else.

Animated Feature: Frozen
Pretty much a no-brainer.

Production Design:
Against my better judgment I'm selecting the flash of The Great Gatsby

Costume Design: ditto above - The Great Gatsby

Makeup and Hairstyling: Dallas Buyers Club
I think Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa really deserves this award, but I don't see the Academy giving an Oscar to that movie.

Film Editing: Gravity
I just think it's going to sweep the technical awards.

Cinematography: Gravity
No, Roger Deakins will still fail to win his much-deserved Oscar.

Original Score: Gravity
Another really tough one, but I think the music was so essential to this film.

Original Song: "Let It Go" from Frozen

Sound Mixing: Gravity

Sound Editing: Gravity

Visual Effects: Gravity

Documentary Feature: 20 Feet from Stardom
I'm not really sure. It's the sentimental favorite and people have really responded to it, but it lacks the depth and power of The Square or The Act or Killing.

Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty
It better be.

Live Action Short: Aquel no era yo
Because Academy voters are often suckers for sappy stories.

Animated Short: Get a Horse!

Documentary Short: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life
Because when in doubt, always go with the Holocaust theme, or in this case, the one that touches on the Holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...