Friday, April 22, 2011

Friends, Get Ready

As I'm moving back to the United States in a few months, I would like my friends to get ready for social interaction with me. I will not support people who are glued to their electronic devices while spending personal time with me.

I've been away a long time and the nature of social interaction and gadgetry interaction has changed drastically in the interim. The first cell phone I owned was when I moved to Spain in 2006 and that was only out of sheer necessity because it was not possible for me to get a hard line at home.

I used to swear up and down that I'd never get a cell phone and of course I will get one when I'm back in New York, but I'm unlikely to get one that gives me round-the-clock access to the Internet. I want the cheapest phone, the cheapest plan. That's not only to save money, but because I don't want to give myself the temptation to be online while I'm out of the house. I'm addicted enough in the house and sometimes feel a bit twitchy when I'm away from a computer for too long. I don't need something in my life that can satisfy that itch 24 hours a day.

When I'm with you in a social situation, I want you to know you've got as much attention as I can give you. I expect the same in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...