Monday, March 14, 2011

An Actual Tantalizing Trailer

Let me be clear up front: I do not think this trailer for The Lincoln Lawyer makes it look like a good movie at all. It looks like standard Hollywood thriller junk (from a novel that is probably standard Best Seller List artificiality) with lead actors who put on their serious faces and voices (Ryan Phillippe sounds particularly wooden).

But this is the first trailer for a Hollywood movie I've seen in I don't know how long that doesn't give away the store. At about the 90 second mark - about the point when Matthew McConaughey says, "Is there anything you're not telling me?" - before the names of the principal actors are announced to shuddering music, I expected the rest of the trailer to spell out exactly what happens in the second half of the movie. Instead it provides increasingly short flash cuts with increasingly staccato music thumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...