Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Stunning Omission from the Academy's Shortlist for Foreign Film

I am shocked, shocked I say, to discover that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has failed recognize one of the best movies I've seen in a long time while moving one of the worst and most pretentious one step closer to a nomination.

The AMPAS committee tasked with narrowing down a list of 66 foreign language films to a list of 9 has rejected France's Of Gods and Men which I suppose was too slow and contemplative. On the other hand from Greece, Dogtooth may actually be headed for a nomination. Spain's También la lluvia has been shortlisted and is likely to make the final five despite the serious reservations I had about it. This is because it's so damn self-important that Academy members can feel really good about themselves nominating a film that they think has a powerful message about the downtrodden.

Mexico's Alejandro González Iñárritu also made the cut with Biutiful, but I haven't seen it yet. I hope it's so damn good it will prevent Greece or Spain from undeservedly winning the Oscar this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...