Friday, December 24, 2010

A Wonderful Review of Gulliver's Travels

It is highly unlikely I will ever see this movie to write my own review of it, so I read A.O. Scott's review in the NY Times. It is worth a read to anyone who has read Swift's 18th century satire.

The funniest thing about the review is that it will absolutely only be appreciated and understood by people who otherwise would have no interest in a Jack Black version of Gulliver's Travels and those who are certain to despise it for the very reasons Scott (in the voice of Swift) lays out.

For those who will love the movie, they probably won't understand a single word of Scott's review after "Dear Sir."

Roger Ebert started writing gimmicky reviews like this a few years ago. I wonder if that's what happens when you simply run out of ways to bash a bad movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...