Thursday, October 21, 2010

Michael Douglas for Another Oscar?

Maybe, but for Money Never Sleeps? Seriously? I mean, I understand the studios touting for Oscars for all kinds of garbage that's hardly worth it. At this time of year basically every film is offered up as a potential Oscar contender. Typically the studios only pour big money into genuine contender, however.

I simply don't see Michael Douglas getting anything close to a nomination for reprising his role as Gordon Gekko. Not only is the film not really worth a second look, but the performance is barely up to the benchmark he set 23 years ago.

Yet here's an article that basically just serves to promote studios and Oscars without bothering to examine the real possibility that Douglas might actually get a nomination or has any shot at all with Money Never Sleeps. It looks like this reporter was duped by the clever Oscar campaigns of two movie studios. He's just gone along with what they're selling.

As for Douglas's possible nomination for Solitary Man I can't really say because I haven't seen it yet, but it is on the docket. If anything I think it makes perfect sense for 20th Century Fox to try to push him in the supporting  category for the Wall Street sequel. It truly is a supporting role. Shia Labeouf is the obvious lead, but so help me if he gets a Best Actor nomination.

Update 23 October: I've seen Solitary Man and while I didn't particularly care for the movie as a whole, I think Douglas's performance is a standout. Whether or not it will earn him Oscar accolades is hard to judge at this point. It depends on the competition. A review for that film will follow shortly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...